Wednesday, July 17, 2013

WV Glass and Ceramics Project Trip Day Three

As a potter hobbyist, today was very exciting for me!  We got to tour the Museum of Ceramics in East Liverpool, OH and then headed back across the river to WV to the Homer Laughlin China Company where they make the well known Fiesta dinnerware, among other ceramic items.  I will post more about Homer Laughlin at a later date.  What I want to share with you today is the intricate patterns I saw on the china at the Museum of Ceramics.  They were quite beautiful and very well done.  Watch the slideshow below and see for yourself...



You are going to design your own china pattern.  I want to see thumbnail sketches of details, all of your drafts, and finally the finished design on paper.  Your design can be floral in nature, geometric, modern, traditional, etc....  Have fun!

6 comments:

  1. I want to do this assignment myself. What a great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you, I am so glad that we were able to get such a great tour at Homer Laughlin this afternoon.
    Thanks for your post and video.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures and slideshow of the dinnerware pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures and slideshow, the patterns are incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job on the video. Its amazing how much variation in patterns and colors there are in china. As Michael at Homer Laughlin pointed out, china is comparatively inexpensive way to spruce up you kitchen as opposed a to complete remodel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how you want your students to design their own china pattern. I'm sure they'll love that.

    ReplyDelete